Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sponge Cloud Background Tutorial

Good morning everyone. I received a few emails asking how to do my sponge cloud background on cards I posted lately, so today is a tutorial post for sponge cloud background. For your informaion, here are the two sample cards I used this technique:

Material I used:
Stamp image - Magnolia Tulip Walkway
Paper used for background (stamped image on paper first)
Distress Ink (I used Broken China as my sample for this one)
Sponge or finger sponge
White Cardstock - I used X-press it blending card (You can use whatever white cardstock you normally use)
cut the edges of the clouds by hand on some scrap pieces of paper as template


First, lightly touch the sponge on the ink pad, so you don't get too much ink


Put the cloud template on top of the background paper, rub the inked sponge along the cloud edge gently in a circle motion. (see picture on the left)
You can rub some area harder than other, so you it will give some dynamic touch rather than all in same colors. (see picture on the right)


After you finished the first edge, move the template down, but instead of lying it in the same spot, move it left or right more, so it will add more contrast. (see picture below)


Keep working along from top to the bottom


When it comes to the bottom closer to the edge of the image, just rub the sponge as close as the image, but don't rub over top. See the picture on the right? There are still some empty spaces on top of the tulips, so try to fill up the empty spaces as much as you can.


Here is the finished sky background.


It's a very simple technique and it's a great way filling up space, lol Ok, thank you so much for stopping by and hope you get a chance to try this technique out and have fun :o)

34 comments:

Hussena said...

thank u for the tutorial its such a simple yet effective technique and the result is amazing.

Crafterkhush said...

This looks simple.. I want to try it....

cardmaking bird said...

Fab tute, you've made it look so easy and it looks beautiful when it's done. I'll definitely be giving it a try! Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs, Marie xx

Maryann Laursen said...

Great tutorial hun and a awesome looking card here, that´s for sure.

Gail said...

amazing tut cabio..and how sweet of you to share..i will be using this a lot i'm sure..loves ya

Notes by Nina said...

You make it look easy, can't wait to try it. Thank you for sharing.

Renkata said...

the Template of your clouds is amazing so purfect :)
Now you must do the tutorial about that too . lol
Love it.
Thanks.

KanataNewf said...

A fab tutorial - and of course lovely cards.

LindaC said...

Thanks Cabio for the tutorial. I am going to have to try this. LC

Only By His Grace said...

Hi Cabio!
How sweet of you to share your tutorial. great job too. I really needed this easy way of doing clouds.
thanks Cabio.
Your cards look super too.
Hugs Maz

Cami said...

Great pics for your tutorial, Cabio! I like how you sky came out. I need to practice more!
Hugs, Cami

Candy said...

Beautiful clouds, Cabio!!
Thanks so much for the tutorial :o)
Hugs, Candy

Rene said...

This is AWESOME!!!!
Rene ;D

LINDA W. said...

Thank You so very much for sharing
hugs Linda

Rosie said...

Thank you for this awesome tutorial Cabio! You're amazing girl! Hugs, Rosie

Maylee said...

OOOHH this looks sooo good!

justme1972 said...

This looks like maybe I can do it!!!! I might HAVE to try it now.

thank you Cabio!!!!!!

justme,
laura

tiggertastic said...

oh this is clever - wow i didn't know how to do this - thanks so much for sharing

sarah x

Christina C. said...

Great tutorial, Cabio!!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Cabio, this is a brilliant tutorial! I've been trying to find a way to make some easy clouds in my background and this one wins the prize. I will definately try this technique. Thanks for sharing.
hugs, Angela

charlene said...

Well now I have something to try who would have thought...ummmm wonder if it is as easy as you make it look ! thanks for sharing
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh my word girl!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Tilda card with the banner and clouds!! Such a stunning design!! I just LOVE to make clouds like this, but I only own ONE distress pad!! I know..I know!! LOL!! Beautiful work and TFS!! :)

Random Acts of Krafting said...

What a great tutorial. And your cards are just fantastic.

Happy Birthday Peggy.
Hugs
Tanya

Sharon said...

A fabulous tutorial Cabio, thanks so much for sharing this with us. I was wondering how it was done! Will have to try it out sometime. hugs Sharon x

Danielle Champagne said...

Thank you Cabio, for sharing this tip with us. Love it.
Hugs.

Sharon Caudle said...

Awesome pictorial Cabio! Thanks so much!
hugs, Sharon

Hlora said...

Fantastic job!! Love these clouds! Anf I will try to repeat the same soon) Thanks!

Iulia said...

Great tutorial Cabio! So simple! I shall have to try this too!
Hugs sweetie and have agreat Sunday!
Iulia

Ronda Archangelo said...

Great tutorial Cabio...thanks for sharing.

Karen (Your Next Stamp) said...

Wonderful! Thanks Cabio!! I really want to try this technique :o))
Hugs
Karen

sofia said...

I just have one word, fantastic.

Soos

Peggy said...

excellent tutorial! cant wait to see what you can teach me with copics! have fun with your certification and good luck!

Gerda said...

wow, i am impressed!!! thanks for sharing this technique with us!

hugs, gerda

Jani said...

Wow, thats awesome!
Great technique! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs Jani