Monday, February 15, 2010

Tutorial - Coloring Hair using Copics

Hello everyone! Today I would like to do something different. Instead of posting a project, I would like to post a hair color tutorial. As many of you may know that I don't do tutorial that often.

First of all, I would like to thank those of you who emailed me regarding questions on hair colors using Copics. I am quite surprised (Blushed) on how many emails I received requesting hair colors on my projects and also many requests in how to do hair colors. So I thought I will try my best to do a tutorial post and hope this somewhat help you although I am not very good either myself.

You can also see this tutorial at Club Anime's blog of Instyle Stamps as well!

For this tutorial, I used an image (Sitting Kylah) from InStyle Stamps for my sample. I used three Copic markers on her hair and they are - E49, E37 and E41.

I normally use the darkest color first on hair. So in this case, E49 will be the first marker to use. One thing to remember is that when coloring the wave/curl on her hair, use the tip of the marker to follow the direction of her wave (ie. if her wave is a "C" shape, then move your brush using anti-clockwise direction. On the other hand, if her wave is a "J" shape, then you will move your brush with clockwise direction). See pictures below.



Next step is to use the E37 to blend/brush from edge of the previous color, but don't forget to leave some white space for the shadowing later with a lighter marker.


Step #3 is to use E41 to fill up the white space. I like to brush out the dark colors along on a piece of scrap paper when coloring as sometimes the lighter marker tend to pick up some dark color on it's tip when blending with dark color. That way, your light shadowing won't get too dark.


At last I will use E37 again to do a little touch up and there you are. Her hair is done!!


I hope this tutorial somehow will give you some inspirations on doing hair colors for your images. Thanks for stopping by again to give me support. Without your visiting, I won't have any blogging mojo :o)

14 comments:

Gina Lindsay said...

Great tutorial, and thanks so much for sharing.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the excellent tutorial!

Angelwood said...

Fantastic tutorial, Cabio. I would never have been able to figure out how to color hair like that. That was awesome! Great job! hugs, Angela

Leanne said...

gr8 tutorial.. i will try to incorporate the clockwise and counter for wavy hair.. thanks!

Joan Ervin said...

WOW!! What a fabulous tutorial!!! Your skills with the copics is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Any help I can get is welcomed!
Hugs,
Pam

Unknown said...

You made it look so easy!! Thanks for sharing your talents! I am anxious to give this a try!

Pattie G said...

Very good tutorial Cabio... I have been using Adobe Fireworks instead of my Copics because I can change the colors at any time. I need to get my Copics out and use them.

hugs
pattie

Pretty-In-Ink said...

It looks great! Thank you for doing this!
Hugs
Nicola

Andrea said...

thank you cabio,
I am gone do it your way now.
I ussaly do it the other way, light color first
hugs andrea

Unknown said...

Thanks sew much for this tutorial! I am getting my copics delivered today-all of the Caio markers, so I will have lots to play with.

Angela
SewManyCards.com

Maylee said...

This is awesome Cabio, now I need E41! I couldn't leave a comment over at the ISS blog.

Kerri said...

LOVE THIS, CABIO!!! I adore your coloring, and it's great to see how you do it! I think I try to blend too much. Going to have to attempt it your way : )

Cami said...

Excellent tutorial, Cabio! Very well explained and great photos! I will try this. I need all the help I can get and you've made it look fun to try! Hugs, Cami